Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Still Sewing....

I made this yesterday morning and I need to finish the borders. That's where I always get hung up and go to something else. Why is that? Borders are not that big a deal, but I get there and in a basket it goes. Hmmmmmmm.....
I have never hand quilted before. Until yesterday, that is. I had a piece of cheater cloth so I cut a hunk of it and decided to give it a try. I found a tutorial on YouTube and went for it. I, actually, found this to be great. It was very relaxing and I could even bring it into the family room and work on it while I watched tv with the family. Have any of you watched Wipeout yet? My kid laughs til her stomach hurts. What does this say about her? She's mean! We also watched the finale of Hell's Kitchen. I didn't watch the entire series, but have watched it since the last four or five people were on it. I like it except for all the "beeping" they have to do. Oh...back to quilty stuff..... I worked on my hand embroidery also. All in all, I sewed for 10 hours yesterday and my house looks like it. Nothing else got done. Garry got home late, so he brought home fast food. We were suppose to go out for pizza, but it was just too late. Either way, I didn't cook! This is the back. I have no idea if I'm actually doing it "right". I don't think it looks too bad and it's only lap size-ish. I figured that was a good place to start. Well, it's laundry or more sewing.....hmmmmmm......should sewing win?

8 comments:

Amelia said...

Looks great from where I sit...yes, hand sewing allows you to be part of the family and tv shows...of course, I am prejudice as I prefer the look of hand quilting to that of most machine quilting.To me, the piecing of the quilt should take priority over the quilting stitches...unless it is in a wide solid color area.

Oh, these are just my opinions.

Have a fun day...eat something exciting and giggle.

Amelia

Kristie said...

Slow down you are killing me!!! Your hand quilting looks great! I love doing it, but right now my fingers and hands are killing me!
Kristie

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Is that the hidden nine patch??? Aren't they great to whip together???

I assume your taking a break from the cathedral window. It's coming along nicely.

Amy said...

Love the "day-quilt", and YES, there are many of us who get to the borders and then go "hmmmmm..........now what???" But for me, it's actually the backing----working with so much fabric annoys me for some reason.

Handquilting has been a new endeavor of mine too--glad to see you trying it out! I have MUCH more control over the design than with a machine.

Yes, Wipe Out has been a weekly "tradition" for us too (okay---only two weeks, but still.) It's amazing that the big red balls don't get "old." We bust up almost every time!

Amanda said...

I haven't actually done much machine quilting yet, but I do enjoy hand quilting. It is slow, but extremely satisfying and it's good to have some hand sewing to do in the evening if you can't just sit and do nothing.

Lori said...

You are an inspiration! I have never tried hand quilting. Now, I must.
It looks great to me! Thanks!

PS. The laundry will be there! *giggle*

Deb A said...

Looks great to me! I think sewing should win out over laundry!

Sunny said...

My husband and youngest two love this silly show. I cannot take the pain! I hurt just watching it. I want to hand quilt desperately. I love hand work for the same reason. I can sit in the room while my family watches TV. Which video on YouTube did you see?