Monday, June 1, 2009

About the smoking thing.....

My friends are like a big giant bra! They lift and support me in the hardest times.
Just wanted you to all know that I appreciate the words of wisdom from you all. I may be posting several times a day for the next few days as I ramble from room to room trying to figure out what I'm doing. Several people have suggested the Chantix medication to help with the smoking but it requires dr. visit and some testing. I'm self employed and my deductible on my heath insurance is 5k. I just can't afford to do it. if I hadn't smoked all these years, I'd probably be rolling in money now. Ha! Garry cheated and went outside to smoke. I let him go the first time. After that I told him he could do it. Gave him a hug. You know....I was like a bra for him. Lifting and supporting! He has not wanted to no smoke the way that I have, but I'll help him!
Thanks again everyone.......

6 comments:

ARISTIONO NUGROHO said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
piecesofpatti said...

I am here for you. You know where I am. If you need me just call.

Regina said...

Hi
Just wanted to pop my head in to encourage you. I have started Weight Watchers more times then I can count so I know how hard it is. I live in WI and I know our State use to have a Quilt Line and help available to those wanting to stop smoking. I work at a free clinic and would be willing to put some literature in the mail to you. I don't know if my email address will be visible to you but if you want to drop me a line feel free :) I check your blog weekly but now I am extra excited to see how you are doing :)

Jen said...

Go Regina Go!! You can do it. Week one is almost in the bag. You'll have to let me know what color bottle and sleeve you'd like.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

How's it going so far? You can do it! I just know it!

Megan of Fabric Love said...

Hey, I'm new here, but we're both in the Old Red Barn Quilt-Along. I haven't had a cigarette in two months as of today. Yay me! I used nicotine replacement patches and SparkPeople online. The patches were a little expensive, but I figured they'd be cheaper than smoking in the long run. Spark People is actually a health, nutrition and fitness site, but they have groups for everything, including smoking cessation, as I found.
However the "Q" word that you mentioned in your last post is THE word on that site, so if you're not ready to use or hear it yet, don't sign up for that group. Yet.

Then again, if you can handle it, there are some great resources and education on this site: http://whyquit.com/

The reason you are crying (from your last post), is that you are going through a normal grieving process. You are changing what has been a huge part of your life for 37 years. But guess what? You CAN slay this dragon, and you WILL FEEL GREAT for doing it! Seriously, after quitting smoking, you'll feel like after facing that challenge and beating it, you can do ANYTHING!

So- suggestions not involving water: How about juice, high in vitamin C to flush the nicotine? Keep your hands and your mind busy (sewing is awesome for that!). Get in some activity. I don't mean high-impact step aerobics if that's not your thing, but a walk will stimulate your endorphins and make you feel good. If walking outside right now just makes you crave (it did for me), maybe put on some fun music and dance around for a bit. Make yourself smile and laugh. It's so much better for you than smoke and tar!

*steps off soap box now*

Sorry that was a bit long-winded. If you ever want to talk, drop me a line. I check my blog and e-mail daily.

Great job on deciding not to smoke!