Friday, January 25, 2008

Today's Project

Well, it hit me that Valentine's Day is right around the corner. To top that off, my hubby and I have an anniversary at the end of February. It's always such a problem trying to find something to get each other. His standby is jewelry. Yeah, that sounds great, but we have a friend who is a jeweler and gives hubby a great discount. It's hubby's easy "out". Still...it does work for me....I do love a nice piece of gold with a diamond or ten attached...ahahhahaaa

Spring, summer and fall, my hubby goes dirtbiking in northern Michigan with a group of guys from our church. We have a cabin and ten acres on the AuSable River up there, but they like to go to the Upper Penninsula to ride sometimes. When they do, they sleep in a closed snowmobile trailer. Not my idea of a good time, but they like it. Since they go in spring and fall, the nights can get pretty cold, so I've decided to make Vern (not his real name, just something I call him, he refers to me as Ester for no good reason, too) a dirtbiking weekend quilt. He likes blue, so blue it is. Nothing too girly since it's for his "man" weekends. Here it is....

I know...the fabric is flowers and leaves, but it is blue. I'm thinking I'll have to find some dark blue for borders. He takes a cot to sleep on and it's long and skinny so I made it longer than normal and not really wide. Remember, it is a dirty trailer that they haul dirtbikes and junk in all the time. It's not like he'll worry in the least about getting it dirty and oil on it and ... oh man, what was I thinking? Ok....it's for him...he'll like it....it's washable. The panic attack is over now.

I found the pattern here: http://www.quiltville.com/delmts.shtml . It's another of Bonnies patterns. Thank goodness for her and her website. I'd be lost without it, I'm afraid. Thanks to her mystery quilt, I'm feeling much more confident about my piecing. Amen to that!

Oh, and the duck likes it.....

5 comments:

Maureen said...

As I was reading your blog and looking at the pictures I was thinking to myself...no duck...where's the duck and finally there she is in her pink slicker!

Ahhh I can smile again (I love the duck in the pictures!)

Hazel said...

Thanks for visiting my blog ,to answer your questing no i don't have a quilting frame I'm learning to free motion quilt from the CD Pajama Quilter .
I enjoyed reading your blog the dirt mike sorry brought back a lot of memories ,My son rode one since he was sixteen .I wasn't to thrilled with all the injuries but as they say boys will be boys LOL
I enjoyed reading your blog I would never have the patience to do all them little squares but they look beautiful .I your hubbys quilt is lovely ,now how long do you think he will keep it clean ,I give it one outing LOL

Kristie said...

Love the new quilt. You really put that together quick. I think it is a great pattern for a guy. I may have to print the pattern out to make later. I think it would be perfect for one of my guys...Richard or the boys.
Kristie

Floss said...

I think you are very brave, using suck a light color on a man’s quilt, but like you said it’s washable. Looks great.

Nancy said...

Yes, blue and white is good for a guy - but to go with him on a dirt-bike riding trip!! I'd be afraid it would NEVER come clean! And I do like that pattern of Bonnie's too.