Saturday, January 12, 2008

Parrot...Grrrrrr


Ok...I promised a post about Purdue. Here he is. The bird from He(double toothpicks). I've tried to be friends with him, but he's having none of it. This has gone on for years too. You'd think I would have given up by now, but I'm no quitter. He's about 9 or 10 years old. He's in love with my daughter though. He's only happy when she is standing next to him or petting him. She takes him to her bedroom and they play hide and seek together. But, here's the problem.... She comes home from school each day and he can hear her and see her and then she has stuff to do and is not standing right there with him, so ... the screaming begins...and never ends til it's dark outside and I cover him up. Ahhhhh....the sreaming. Years of it....day after day. Do you know how loud these bid birds can scream? Trust me...it's loud. He's a double headed Amazon parrot. Very smart and they know exactly what they want and they want it NOW. He loves any pasta with any red sauce like goulash, spaghetti... When ya cover him up for the night, he groans and then in a pathetic voice he quietly says...."Help".... He can say a quite a bit like... How are you, I am fine, Wazup?. My daughter, Cyn, and I were watching a movie one day last summer and he was covered and every time I laughed at the movie....he did the same thing. He sounded so funny laughing along with me. He also says "Hello" each time the phone rings. He's really great in during the summer months. I have a screened room that you enter from the deck into the family room. These birds love the hot weather, so when he gets to live out there, he's happy. He greets guests and there is a lot of activity with the dogs and he enjoys that. I tried for a while to let him and the dogs get aquainted, it did not work. I just ended up bitten every time. The dogs surround him, he starts screaming, the dogs start barking, and then I end up missing a chunk of myself. I've given up on that plan. Well, that's it....the zoo at my house. I'm back to the quilting room now, which I rearranged yesterday and added some more shelving to. Got clue 6 of the http://quiltville.com/carolinacrossroadsmystery.shtml to finish. I'm enjoying this mystery way too much. I have a mountain of laundry and my bedroom is a disaster but no one in the house has complained yet, so....more piecing works for me......
Happy Quilting to one and all.....
Regina

4 comments:

Khris said...

Ohh that bird sounds hilarious Regina. What fun it would be to have him around. Hugs, Khris

Jen said...

Oh, we had a parakeet when I was a kid. It always made me mad when he was soo loud while I was watching cartoons. I covered that thing up any chance I would get.

I lost it when you said if you cover him he says, "HELP." OMG, THAT is hilarious.

Maureen said...

I have a friend who has a parrot and her sister was babysitting another parrot...said sister called with pleas of help. She had let the bird out of the cage and well she couldn't get the bird to go back into it's cage. When she went to "grab" it, the bird yelled at her BACK OFF! It is amazing what those birds learn to say. I just laughed when you said he says "Help" when you cover him up. Very funny!

Maureen
http://maureenquilts.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I have a blue amazon parrot who love to talk. He loves kids, especially little girls with blonde hair. If you wave he will say bye and make a zipper noise like a jacket or purse. His favorite food is pasta with red sauce, but will eat most cooked food.He also answers the phone and after saying hello will start with "yeah, hmhmhm, yeah, okay, yeah". Sometimes he goes on a rant and will tell a story, if you interupt he'll tell you to shut-up.