Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Blogs, memories, thoughts.....





Not a quilty day. But...it is a blog day. A person could get completely lost in the Land of Blog! I like seeing what others do and have to say about all kinds of things. It seems that a lot of women are going back to older traditions. More "scratch" cooking, canning, arts that seem to have been lost through the years. Actual Homemaking. I feel that way about quilting. A lost art. Well, not completely lost, as I'm finding out more and more each day. I'm not usually so nostalgic, but it's one of those days, I suppose. I was thinking of my Grandmother. I miss her everyday. She lived in Tennesee, a very small town called Finger. Yes, Finger. They were cotton farmers. During summer vacations, my family would visit there. We picked cotton too. Very hard work. I can remember being very young, six or seven maybe, and thinking I'd really done a lot. Had my cotton sack half full, and then found out I'd accomplished picking about $0.17 worth of cotton in a whole day. Amazing. I of course was devastated to find out that was it. My weekly allowance was a lot more than that at 50 cents, and I only had to take out the garbage and make my bed. But...there are things I remember. The cupboard in my Grams farm house that held her biscuit making supplies. The way the door folded out and the big bowl fit perfectly inside it. The way the water tasted fresh out of the well. They had no indoor plumbing until I was a teen. I think of the way my Gramps made popcorn in that funny contraption with the turner handle on top, in the fireplace. Homemade ice cream. Catching fireflies and putting them in a mason jar. Stealing dried apples off the big front porch, before, during and after the drying process. I guess those are memories I'll have forever. I hate to think that when I'm gone, those memories will be gone, also. Maybe it's the lack of sunshine today, as gray days tend to make me sentimental. But, these are just thoughts today.

And...it's off to church tonight. I have a Ladies Bible Study class on Wednesday nights at our church. I love it. I love the fellowship, the women, the learning, everything about it. God has blessed me in so many ways. I want my children to have those memories. I wonder what they will remember of me when they are older...


1 comment:

Kristie said...

What a beautiful post. I love the simpler life. I live on a farm in Kentucky and love it. I grew up very poor and we didn't have indoor plumbing until 1986. But mom always made sure we were cleaned, fed, and took care of. I think sometimes in this world people take things for granted. I always try to keep life simple here for my boys.
Kristie