Friday, January 9, 2009

Thrill of Victory? Agony of Defeat?

I mentioned in my last post about my new sewing cabinet Garry got me for Christmas. Problem: can't get an insert for this machine in this cabinet. Sapphire is too long according to the powers that be. Solution: Garry will build one. First, he bought a piece of lexon (sp?) . Sorta like plexiglass or kinda like what quilting rulers are made of, and a bit flexible but strong. Next, make a template:




Check all the measurements now.......


Now the next issue is cutting this lexon stuff. There is concern about it melting using a regular saw. We know lots of people who do woodworking and a guy who has a cabinet shop and cuts that corian counter top stuff. Garry is thinking this over now. I'm on the edge of my seat to see if this all works out. He bought some one by one inch strips of this stuff to make bracing bars so that when it's slid into place it won't shift. It's very interesting around here to see what hubby one and hubby two will come up with. Hubby 2 is my husband's best friend of 45 years, Pat. He's been a wonderful friend to me and it's a long standing joke that if you take one of them, you get the other since they are always together. I'm almost hopeful about this insert though!

Next funny thing? Did you notice those suction things stuck to all of my rulers? Like this?



Garry decided he was tired of me cutting my finger off. I think it's the money to have it sewed back on each time I hack my finger that he resents. Ok...could be the whining I do while it's healing. Or could be the fact that he had to wash dishes for the first time in 25 to 30 years. Could be all of the above. He found these things at a tool place, bought a bunch. He's got them stuck to every quilting ruler I have now. And...there are still a couple left in the bag. What's he trying to tell me? Now I know that if anyone out there still reads this blog, that you, too, are on the edge of your seats awaiting the results of this adventure. I'll keep you updated..... If it all works, perhaps the entire world will hear my "Yippeeee" that I'll be shouting!
Later!

6 comments:

Amy said...

HA-LARIOUS -- thanks for sharing the giggles and for keeping us on the edge of our seats :0) Actually, I am VERY curious to see how this will turn out because my DH has talked about "rigging" up my table to fit my machine better as well.
Good luck!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I'm curious to know how many of these suction cup things he has purchased.

You may very well not realize the things he may stick them to next.

Oh and since when are you married to multiple men...LOL

Amelia said...

Explain that husband 1 and husband 2 of your blog...

Loved the suction thingy ...do you suppose Lowe's would have them?

do show us the finished project.

Bethany said...

Umm..husband 2? LOL.

I hope it all works out and can't wait to see the finished result.

Terry said...

I love the suction thingies! I'm going to look for those the next time I go to town! Good luck with the sewing table adventure! :0)

Cindy said...

Now I'm going to be on the edge of my seat waiting to see if the insert works. What a great husband who would tackle that project. I like the idea of the handles for the rulers but I have limited space to keep the rulers. I've been lucky so far and haven't cut myself YET......