Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Finish!


Finished! Done! Yippeeee! One down, not counting how many to go. It would just make me feel defeated before the day starts. I'm on a "finish it up" binge. It actually feels pretty good. This is the Bricks andStepping Stones pattern from Bonnie at Quiltville.com I quilted this one yesterday and finished the binding about midnight last night. I don't know what I've done, but my right shoulder is seriously sore. I think I've got a "catch in my get-along". That's pretty much what I call anything that causes me to move slowly. And, I don't like this. In bed at 1 a.m. and up at 5 a.m. cause it hurts to even lay on my shoulder. It started a couple of days ago and with my sorry memory, I can't remember what I could have done to make it hurt. The only things that last in my memory are things Garry does wrong. Those I can remember for years. I mentioned that at dinner on Sunday to some friends. The women all giggled and the men just shook their head and said "I know", in chorus. It was pretty funny.

Oh, the backing on this one is a sheet I found at Goodwill. I've heard a lot of discussions about using/not using sheets as backings. I like them. This one is fun, bright and sewed up great. I even used the left overs for the binding. This is the first binding in my one year (I know, a quilting babe) that I'm very happy with. I have read lots about thread count in sheets being too high and all that, but I make quilts to use, so ... we'll see how it wears. And, for $1.99 for the sheet, I had to try it.

I'm off to pick another UFO and finish it today! I hope I don't lose my resolve.........

18 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Good job!...And you photographed it so beautifully!! I think that as long as you are not making heirloom quality quilts that you expect to be passed down from generation to generation, put whatever the heck you want on the back...and the front for that matter!! I have been reading about a number of quilters that are cutting up vintage sheets to make quilt blocks. No quilt police here!!

Regina said...

Love the quilt - my sister and I picked that one for our 2009 strip swap (we did Bonnie's Sister's Choice for 2008) and I am really looking forward to it.

Love the sheet - can't find many here and it is frustrating me.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is great. I love the colours, and the sheet makes a pretty backing too.

Sunny said...

Congratulations on a finish! It looks great. I would use sheets too if I could find a bargain like yours. Since I have had no luck finding them, I use just plain bleached muslin (usually 4.99 a yard). I can't wait to see more of your finishes.

Kristie said...

I sure hope your shoulder feels better....after I pass you in hours!!! hehehehe! No, I really do hope you start to feel better!

I always use sheets for my backings. My longarmer never complains about them, and alot of people around here uses them. I like how they look and I've never had a problem with how they wear. I hope it works well for you.

I have been up since 3am, just couldn't sleep either so I got several hours of peaceful sewing in this morning...
Kristie

Jeanne said...

I love your quilt! That pattern has been on my 'to do' or 'immediate' list for some time. I've never seen it all scrappy and really like the look. Thanks for sharing.

Debbi said...

Wonderful finish! Way to go! I've also wanted to do that quilt and yours turned out great. Cute sheet on the back too...I've never tried that, but I'm not opposed to it yet either.

Amelia said...

It looks great.

I always use a sheet on the back side and have for quite some time.I tried using fabric but I don't like the seams going willy nilly ...could not ever keep mine straight. I use a solid color to match the front. I have used an old used sheet but I figure with having new fabric on the front I want new fabric on the back. Wal-Mart carries flat sheets individually and that is what I use.

I am of the type person - I made the quilt - so I can make the decision as to what I put on the back.

amelia

Candace said...

I love your quilt. The whole picture is so charming, and I love the sheet on the back. I think I need to add that pattern to my list of wanttos.

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Had you seen the new era of using old sheets. I'd seen it on a couple of blogs of late. It's in Amy Butler's book, simply stitches where she makes lounge pants out of old sheets. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and have ordered one up from the library.

Cindy said...

Way to go on the finish. Your quilt looks fantastic and I love the sheet on the back. I'm one who never puts expensive fabric on the back of my quilts. I wait for Joanns to have a good sale and then I buy a bolt of muslin at usually 50% off and that's what I use.

Shanna said...

Great job on the beautiful quilt! I love the backing fabric and the randomness of the front! Great pics too!

Quilter Kathy said...

Great quilt - woo hoo on finishing a UFO! This quilt pattern is on my "to-do"list someday.

Anonymous said...

looks like a great pattern to make, love it.

cheers
Christine

Michelle said...

Your quilt is beautiful! If I had any motivation, I would run right downstairs and start pulling out fabric.

I always use sheets for the back. I get them at Goodwill. I usually have $2.38 invested for the backing, and I never have to piece it. You might call that laziness, but that is me.

It looks great! Cuddle up and have a good nap.
Michelle

Unknown said...

Love the quilt!! I don't think sheets are a bad thing to use. That's what they used to use, isn't it?
Hmm, sneak the fabric you get at your friends house in under your shirt!!
Michelle in Japan
www.myquiltblog.com/michelle

Maureen said...

I tried to just leave a message but well I forgot my password...how embarassing is that...I haven't posted in that long.

Anyways I wanted to tell you I love your quilt. I will have to try to use a sheet in the future. I have never done that.

Maureen

Sherry said...

Congrats on the finish. It looks great! Hope your shoulder feels better soon.